Our third guest in the South Asia series is Bangladeshi Quazi Sabir the founder of Khelbei Bangladesh. A digital platform that promotes sports academies and venues, connects amateur and pro athletes to businesses, and aiming to revolutionise Bangladesh’s sports talent management sector. If you are curious, then listen in.
Sabir is passionate about sports and is keen to get the nation moving. It was a pleasure to speak with Sabir.
Connect with Sabir
- “I am a big time sports lover and I also host TV sports shows. There has always been a sports connection, so I thought why not create my own sports company.” Quazi S. [1:00]
- “So my initial sports management company was a B2B. I had no idea how startups work or about the ecosystem. I knew what kind of work I wanted to do but I did not know the avenues or the challenges to pursue my dream.” Quazi S. [2:20]
- “I will be very honest it has not been easy but the learning has been invaluable. I think it is a part of the journey. It exposes you to the weaknesses’ and lets you know what you need to improve. It has been rewarding despite.” Quazi S. [3:44]
- “In Bangladesh especially in the urban areas there are not much spaces to play or to do physical activity. Outside of the capital in the villages, there are spaces but they do not have access to proper coaching and information. I wanted to build a platform that would help people, Bangaldeshis of all ages to participate in sports through online and on field services. I wanted to create access and opportunities.” Quazi S. [4:20 ]
- “Cricket is by far the number one sport, it is massive. The whole sports industry is evolving, before football used to be big, back in the 90s and the sports industry I would say is regulated in terms of the formal sports tournaments…There is a massive sports goods market but then again there is no data it is just show owners. It is still not structured but I hope as companies like Kheilbei and a few others make it big, we will see a lot of growth potential there.” Quazi S. [5:22]
- “So that brings me to a very important conversation, what do I sell? People have been asking me what do I sell. So, sports is, what I sell! It is very difficult to single out one service.” Quazi S. [8:00]
- “Right now I am focussed on digital marketing and also the digital space is getting expensive by the day. I think for the next six months since covid is finally going away. I got badly affected because of covid, multiple lockdowns with school closures.” Quazi S. [18:20]
- “It is all about your revenues and the numbers you present.” Quazi S. [24:22]
- “I have been very open to people’s comment and advice. When you build a product you get so attached to it.” Quazi S. [26:31]
Review the Rare Birds Emerging Markets Podcast
Tweet us @RareBirdsHQ_